Making sustainable commitments and making eco-responsible choices can seem very demanding, even in our best times.
The pressure to opt for a zero waste lifestyle, to always make good decisions and to never give up is very real... Add to that the stress of parenthood and our fate is sealed. But in reality, for most of us, “pure” zero waste is a completely unattainable target. That doesn't mean we should throw in the towel; rather, we need to make small, lasting changes repeatedly that will lead to major impacts.
Parents can integrate several tools into their daily routine to achieve the perfect – and much sought after – balance between practicality and sustainability. It could be as simple as carrying your own water bottle or choosing reusable packaging over single-use plastic.
Some other ideas to get you off to a good start:
- Buy, accept and return used clothing instead of buying new
- Borrow items you need for temporary use instead of buying them (jumping seats, rocking seats, swings, bassinets, playpens, etc.)
- Prioritize reusable products as much as possible (baby food containers, reusable diapers, etc.)
- Support local businesses that sell children's items
- Buy sustainably and ethically produced items whenever possible.
Another great way to go green is to make your own baby wipes! Parents use more than a thousand wipes before their child is one year old . Multiply this figure by the number of babies who are cleaned with wipes and you will quickly see that a simple change in habits could greatly reduce the amount of waste that ends up in landfills.
Bonus: these wipes can also be used to wash sticky hands, disinfect surfaces and even remove makeup! Here's an easy-to-follow recipe made with simple ingredients!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- Several small baby washcloths or a roll of recycled paper towels (paper towels can be recycled or composted; check with your municipality)
- 2 cups of water – add a few drops of calendula extract to benefit from its medicinal properties
- 2 tbsp. tablespoon of our mousse Baby Body Foam sulfate free
- 1 C. tablespoons of our Herbal Hug Baby Oil with medicinal calendula and lavender
- Plastic container with lid
- Essential oil of choice (do not add if baby has sensitive skin) – I have a penchant for tea tree and lavender oils, both are antibacterial and are safe to apply to the skin.
These make-ahead wipes are a healthy alternative to commercial wipes, which contain a long list of irritating and harmful ingredients.
- Cut the washcloths or paper towel roll in half using a serrated knife.
- Place half of the wipes in the container. Reserve the other half until preparing the next batch of wipes.
- Boil two cups of water for two minutes.
- Add a little liquid soap and baby oil.
- Pour two to five drops of essential oil.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the wipes.
- Remove the cardboard cylinder from the center of the paper towel roll. This is easily done when the roller is wet.
- Place the lid on the container.
- Keep container closed until ready to use wipes. Pull the wipes through the center of the roll. Replace the cover after each use.
- The wipes should stay moist and fresh for about a week. If there are any wipes left and they are starting to dry out, pour a little boiling water into the container.
Up to you!
This article was published in the original English version by MatterCompany .