Resource for curious new parents and grandparents!
The fashion industry is programmed to flood the market with clothing that is inexpensive, low quality, and intended to be worn for a very short time. We buy then we throw away. This is called the fast fashion . In this post, we explain how the arrival of progressive clothing on the market contributes to decluttering. This is an excellent solution to compensate for the overconsumption of clothes among toddlers.
Characteristics of Grow with me clothing
- Evolve at the rate at which the child grows
- Can typically be worn two to three times longer than one-size-fits-all clothing
- Are designed with stretchy fabrics to adapt to baby's changing shape
- Includes parts that can be rolled and unrolled for a personalized fit (e.g. pant edges, waist and sleeves)
- Are very compatible with reusable diapers (big booty)
Grow with me clothing found on the market
- Pants with leg extensions and waist band
- Hoodie long at the waist with fold-over sleeves
- Overalls with adjustable straps and leg extenders
- Hid layer with extension
- Pyjamas with mittens and socks
- T-shirt with long sleeves that become three-quarter sleeves
There are also outerwear with adjustable sleeves and legs, ponchos, dresses that transform into camisole, etc.
Example of pants that will last from 6 months to 3 years.
Benefits of Grow with me clothing
Grow with me clothing is economical. For example, a pair of progressive pants made from a quality knit can replace three or four pairs of normal pants. It becomes interesting for the wallet!
- A progressive garment is an ally of the environment since it replaces two or three pieces of one size.
- A wardrobe with Grow with me clothes means fewer pieces to sort and put away throughout the seasons; the house loves uncluttered spaces!
- Versatile, these clothes can be shared between brothers and sisters over the years, especially if they feature neutral colors.
- When made with quality fabrics, Grow with me clothing is particularly durable and will survive several years of washing!
- A quality garment can undoubtedly be resold! There are many clothing resale pages and lots of groups on social media.
Some disadvantages: it's not all rosy!
Grow with me clothing is often a little more expensive than one-size-fits-all clothing; they are designed and manufactured most of the time locally, with high quality fabrics. It is still an advantage to encourage the local economy. They are very often equipped with strips of fabric that must be rolled and unrolled to take advantage of the Grow with me side. We like it or we don't like it!
With some manufacturers of progressive clothing, the sizes are rather random. You must trust the size charts and ask questions to the retailer.
Grow with me sizes are mainly limited to children aged 0 to 5 years. Some companies offer 5 to 8 years, but this is rather rare.
Attention! If you opt for Grow with me clothing from a big box store, check the quality of it to benefit from the advantages mentioned above!
In short, well-designed progressive clothing is a very good solution to compensate for the overconsumption of clothing among toddlers. The important thing is to focus on quality.
Some interesting statistics
- The North Americans send 9.5 million tonnes of discarded clothing every year, and 95% could be reused or recycled.
- 20% of industrial water pollution is attributable to the textile industry (Ellen MacArthur Foundation (2017)).
- The fashion industry is the second largest consumer of water in the world (United Nations Economic Commission for Europe).